You are searching for something on Google or you come across some kind of post on any of the social media networks and when you make a click on it, you get an “
Has something like this ever happened to you? In reality, such kind of issue surely is annoying for most people across the world. Getting yourself run into a warning page that doesn’t exist is nowadays considered among one of the most frequent issues most of us encounter when searching on the Internet on a regular basis.
This error 404 certainly is annoying for both users and can also harm your SEO positioning on different search engines. Meanwhile, in addition to giving negative signals to Google, you might end up losing your site visitors by not finding what they were looking for on your website.
Though, this is something which can effortlessly be repaired or you have the option to redirect your visitors to another URL for your convenience. All this can happen due to a well-optimized 404 error page (which you will discover later in this post). I really insist on that such kind of issue usually now occurs very frequently on almost any kind of website.
Without going anywhere else, here in this post, we are at the moment working on trying to reduce this error as much as possible. In order to better understand this error and the issues related to it, let we start from the definition of “404 not found” and later on we will till how you can find it and fix them in an effective manner.
What is Error 404?
An error 404 not found or “page not found” is a status code which returns the server of your site to the browser from which the user has tried to access a specific type of URL of your domain which due to some issue could not be found and in result no content is shown to the visitor.
In simple words if we tell this error, as the page to which the URL leads the visitor does not exist, due to a broken link or due to the syntax of the URL is not written write or the page doesn’t exist directly.
We should not ever forget any character or item of a website address which doesn’t coincide correctly with the original, will in result send the users to another site. If such kind of scenario happens the user will get to see a warning page which shows this error. It is why necessary for you personalize this warning page.
If we talk about this in technical words, it means that the browser has been able to locate the domain where it is hosted but nevertheless, it was not able to find the exact URL you were trying to access. To understand this more easily let me tell you in more easy words:
Anytime you enter a website address or a URL into the browser a request is made on your behalf which then goes through following steps:
- Request is routed via internet to the domain on the URL or website address like www.mediajunkie.co.uk
- After this the domain is then converted to an IP.
- Your request now goes via that IP address.
- After it reaches the computer with the same IP address a web server listening occurs.
After this, the web server will look for that resource and in case it doesn’t find it, you will get to see an error 404.
So, if your website page presents such kind of warning, how can you provide a solution for it?
Keeping in mind that you have just understood the true definition of 404 error, it certainly is obvious that if you are currently facing such kind of error or have suffered from it, you surely wish to put an end to this error. Let us tell you how you can get it fixed.
Recommended Reading: Ultimate Guide on Email Marketing Strategy 2019
How to Fix 404 Error on Website?
Below I have discussed some ways by which you can effortlessly fix this error:
- Hit F5 or click/tap on the refresh/reload button to refresh the URL you are trying to access load again. It might appear for numerous reasons even though no real issue exists, so sometimes a simple refresh might get it fixed.
Usuallythe 404 not found or “File not found” error appears due to the wrong typing of the URL. Simply check the URL you are trying to access and correct it if there is any kind of error in it.
- Simply move up one directory level at a time in the URL until you get something you are looking for. Like or instance, if www.web.com/a/b.htm has given you the 404 not found, all you need to do is move up by writing www.web.com/a.htm. By doing this it will lead you towards what you are looking for or at least give you confirmation that it no longer exists. In case you have moved up all the way up to the main homepage, then you need to run a search for the information you need. If the site doesn’t have a search function, you can take help by navigating to the page you want by using the category links on the website.
- You can search for the page from a famous and recognized search engine. There is a possibility that you might have written the wrong the URL in which case an instant Bing or Google search will help you get where you need to go. In case you do find your page which you were looking for, simply bookmark it or make it favorite in order to avoid the http 404 error in future.
- You need to clear your browser cache in case you have any kind of indication that this error is just coming because of your browser issue. Like of instance, if you are able to reach the URL via phone by not from your laptop or tablet, simply clear the cache on your laptop and tablet browser and it will work. Moreover, you might need to consider in clearing the browser cookies or at least the ones which are related to the website which you are trying to reach.
- You can also change the DNS servers which are used by your PC, but only in one condition if the complete website of yours is giving a 404 error. Moreover, also in the case if the site is available to the people who are on other networks like
mobilephone or a friend in another city. Getting a 404 on your complete website isn’t particularly common unless your ISP or government filters or censors websites. No matter what the reason is, if such kind of situation occurs, giving another set of DNS servers is a good try step to take.
- You can get in touch with the website directly. In case they have removed the page you are looking for as after that 404 error is legitimate to occur and they will be able to tell you that the page you are looking for is removed. In case they have moved the page and are currently generating 404 instead of redirecting the visitors to other pages, they surely will be happy to hear from you as then they will be able to get it fixed. You can report the error by checking for contact on the website social network accounts which they have shared details on their site. There are few websites nowadays who only have a phone number and an email address for contact purposes.
- In case you have a suspicion that everyone is getting a 404 error for this site, but not sure completely, a fast check on Twitter might help you get this confusion cleared out. All you have to do is search #websitedown on Twitter like for instance #facebookdown or #youtubedown and “the requested URL was not found on this server”. Twitter users usually start talking about the website down.
Last but not least, if all of this fails, wait. No, it certainly is not funny. If you are confident enough about that this error should not be occurring, you need to make sure that all your website pages are at their URL addresses. You can also perform a check on your website for checking 404 errors by the use of tools like:
How to Find Broken Links/Broken 404 Error Pages on Your Site
If you are looking for a site which can help you check broken links/broken 404 error pages on your website, along with the above-mentioned sites you can also visit https://ahrefs.com/broken-link-checker.
This site can help you find all the broken links of your website pages, which you can, later on, get it fixed. Moreover, you can also check the broken links/broken error pages of your competitor’s content pages through this site.
Moreover, you can also have a look at the backlinks of your website via this site tool.
How to Customize Your 404 Error Page
As disclosed to you in the definition, this is a HTTP status code, which shows that the host has possessed the capacity to communicate with the server, however that there is no asset that has been asked.
Do you need a sample? Here it is: in the event that you endeavor to get to the URL “http://wikipedia.org/xyzjk“, you will discover Wikipedia, however more likely than not its server will restore a notice page with this HTTP code, which we are discussing in this guide. This issue ought not to be mistaken for “Error 500 or Web Server not found” or other comparable ones, in which it is demonstrated that a connection couldn’t be made with the server where the domain of the Website we are searching for is hosted.
To make it simple, the definition is clear, it is an erroneous HTTP state code and should be revised, i.e., if a URL does not exist, is on the grounds that it has been expelled by the maker of the Web or in light of the fact that the client enters the URL wrong. Be that as it may, we should take a look at this in more detail:
Why 404 Errors Occurs on Accessing a Web Page?
Visualize that you plan to enter a physical store amid working hours and that when you attempt to do as such you think that it’s shut without a “we’ll be back” sign. That can make dissatisfaction, right?
I’ll give you another example: you get to that store, however sooner or later, you see that nobody takes care of you, the main alternative you have left is to go where you originated from, in this manner disposing of purchasing that item. This analogy is a portrayal of what happens when a client discovers this sort of mistake in a Web that isn’t customized and does not offer you route options.
This doesn’t need to transpire, on the grounds that despite the fact that these notification are practically inescapable to have them on the page, as you’ll see, they can be understood and diminished to practically 100% in an exceptionally straightforward manner.
What if You Can’t Solve 404 Error Issue?
All things considered, you must have, as I state, a well-customized page with the goal that the client does not do likewise as in the case of the physical store I revealed to you before.
Such kind of errors usually occurs for a variety of reasons:
- The proprietor of the site has expelled the URL you need to get to, so it never again exists. This creates a look cautioning each time the client or Google endeavors to get to that erased URL.
- The client, when entering a specific URL in the search engine, composes it inaccurately. Also, since this location has never been enrolled, it is difficult to get to it.
Penalties of Having a 404 Error Page Appearing on Site
It isn’t a great idea to have this kind of advertisements inside a Web for numerous reasons:
- It creates an absence of polished methodology and dismissal in the client: on the off chance that he doesn’t discover what he is searching for, it is truly likely that he will close the tab and go to the consequence of the challenge in the event that you don’t offer him some option.
- Loss of sales or followers: in the event that you don’t offer the client, when you get to the wrong page, a menu to travel through, a catch to get to another part of the web as an option, a search engine or another comparative item, you will lose sales (and significantly more on the off chance that it is an
- Prejudices at SEO level: Google dislikes
them,since it considers the client experience and needs everything to work flawlessly.
Moreover, if Google spiders identify these “downsides”, they will bring down your domain in the SERP results and, if the client gets in and leaves, there will be a bounce back, so it will create a twofold damage at SEO level.
In such kind of cases, accepting you work with WordPress, having a quality layout installed and that by default has a notice page of this sort, designed and disclosing to the client what has occurred, is very essential. Along these lines, it is sufficient for the client to comprehend why he has not possessed the capacity to get to the data he was searching for.
Else, you need to take measures or more all, you need to guarantee that your site has a couple of 404 errors as could reasonably be expected.
How to Put Solution of 404 Errors inside your website?
To detect this kind of pages not found, there are a few tools like Screaming Frog or the Google Search Console tool itself. I prescribe them both, as they offer exact information. Screaming Frog is a free tool (up to 500 URL’s), which will break down your site internally, demonstrating the status codes 200 (right) and 404 that, for reasons unknown, are not right pages.
One of the fundamental reasons why a Web can create these purported “Record Not Found” from the earliest starting point isn’t to make sure to check the alternative in WordPress settings to dishearten search engines from indexing content. At the point when an individual makes a site, they can make URL changes or remove pages they initially thought they needed, if that box is unchecked, Google will have indexed those pages.
So you, when you expel them later, as of now have issues of this sort. What do we do with these errors? There are a few different ways to fix them, something I’ll enlighten you below:
How to Remove 404 Error from Google Search Console
Utilizing the URL’s removal option of the Google Search Console tool has a downside: doing as such by this strategy, these non-existent pages return after a duration of 3 months. What’s more, until Google gives the request to deindex, these status messages will keep on showing up in search engines.
You can find in a brief timeframe using this command “site:
- Go to the Google Search Console option “Tracking > Crawl Errors”, in that choice you will see these advertisements that your site is producing.
- To expel them, you should copy every URL one by one and at the same time get to the next option “Google Index > Delete urls”, when you embed it in the field, click on hide temporarily.
- Now you will be able to select the URL’s of the past choice and imprint “how solved”.
Try not to check it as fixed without eradicating that URL first. My recommendation is to stamp it as erased and it will just influence it to vanish from the notice box. When you have every one of them expelled, it is typical that some time passes and that the vast majority of the bugs of this typology show up once more.
What will happen if you access Search Console and thousands of 404 Error Shows?
Visualize now you need to do this procedure one by one when a site has a large number of issues of this sort. Google Search Console is an incredible tool that you should check occasionally, to check whether there are new issues of this sort or not. I leave to you another choice to manage “happy” notifications or issues:
Execute a 301 redirection
This solution is much utilized and Google likes it, however, you should consider in the event that you need to do it and remember that the data of the new URL to which the substance will interface is connected and fits well with regards to the “destination page”.
Visualize that a URL never again exists and it is discussed “the best places to go on summer occasions”. In the meantime, in your blog, you have a post about “the best places on the shoreline”. Making a redirection to this other substance makes sense.
If all else fails whether to expel or divert, you need to check whether the old URL has links, visits, is modestly all around situated in Google and is keen on applying that redirection. It isn’t about diverting for diverting. This activity must have its rationale.
Try not to interface everything to the “home”, in the event that you don’t have a comparative page; or don’t divert a post to an item classification, for instance, by exchanging expert. Do it such that bodes well.
How You Can Perform Such Kind of Redirects
The 301 redirects, for precedents like the past ones, in which you need to maintain a strategic distance from a 404 error, should be possible in two different ways:
- Manually inside the htaccess of your domain hosting panel, utilizing the bit of code: Divert 301/best places-excursions https://tuweb.com/mejores-lugares-playa
- Using a plugin, for example, “Redirection” for WordPress. It distinguishes the redirection naturally since you just need to deal with incorporating into the allotted field the new location to which it will point and prepared: the old URL will as of now have a destination.
As should be obvious, it isn’t a great idea to have 404 errors in your Web, however I have just disclosed to you that having them is practically inescapable, so if notwithstanding having that issue, your website is designed with the goal that the client does not abandon it and play out some sort of positive activity, much better.
On the off chance that you have effectively taken the choice to tidy up this sort of negative advertisements, you need to forestall more show up, and on the off chance that they happen, you must have a very much planned custom page. This is crucial and you must be clear about it.
What do you think of this guide on 404 errors you face on